Garlic Bruschetta

For Valentine's Day, I wanted to make a nice dinner for Kyle, and I wanted to do it all by myself! So, I found a great recipe for searing steaks, made garlic mashed potatoes and fried spinach. As an appetizer I made this bruschetta... and it was a FAST favorite! Kyle asked for it for weeks afterward, and I made it everytime he asked, ha! When we planted our garden, I knew I wanted basil planted just for this recipe. It is delicious... mouth watering... and it will be gone FAST!



Ingredients:
2 Tbsp fresh garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 cups vine-ripened cherry tomatoes (I use Nature Sweet and the whole bag works perfect)
2 Tbsp + 1/8 cup olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tsp + 1 Tbsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
Sliced sourdough bread



Directions:
Add garlic and basil to small bowl.




Slice tomatoes in half. Using a small paring knife, scoop out the seeds, then chop the tomatoes and place in bowl.







Add 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, mix and chill until ready to serve.





Slice bread into squares.



Sprinkle 1/8 cup olive oil over the bread. You can use a basting brush or a paper towel to help coat the bread evenly with the oil.



Bake in oven at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp kosher salt immediately after removing from oven. Serve with bruschetta.

NOTE: I have also used roma tomatoes and it does not produce near the great flavor, so now I only use the cherry tomatoes.

Chopping Basil:
The easiest way to chop basil is to lay it one on another.



Then gently roll the leaves.



Slice thin in a julienne style and then give the slices a good rough chop. So easy!




Tomorrow I will post a lovely baked tilapia with a lemon dill sauce that is to DIE for! So look out for that one!!! Also working on another inspiration board.